Cold & Flu Season is Here!
Six Steps To Boosting Your Immune System
Written By Dr. Kaleigh Coolsaet, ND
With fall officially here, it’s now time to prepare ourselves for the inevitable cold and flu season. With back to school and fall routines back in place we tend to spend more time indoors and in close quarters with others, which can easily lead to picking up the latest cold or flu virus.
The good news is we can support our immune systems early to keep healthy, and reduce the severity and duration of the common cold. Follow these six steps in order to keep your immune system in tiptop shape for this fall and winter season.
Six Steps to Enhancing your Immune System
1. Eat a balanced diet with reduced sugar intake
- Sugar is known to wreak havoc with our immune system, so best to avoid any unnecessary sugar. Make sure to eat lots of colourful fruits and vegetables full of vitamins and minerals to support your immune system.
Tip: Root vegetables are in season and are full of vitamins and minerals – try them roasted or in a delicious warming soup.
2. Reduce and Manage Stress
- When we are stressed we produce a hormone called cortisol which helps us adapt to stress, but over the long run it can suppress the immune system leaving us vulnerable to picking up every virus we come across. Managing your stress and cortisol levels goes a long way in supporting your immune system. Read more about stress & your immune system here.
Try: Yoga, Meditation, Breathing Exercises
3. Obtain sufficient sleep
- Proper sleep routines help with repair and regeneration of the body and improving the immune system.
Tip: Get into a routine of sleeping and waking at the same time each day. Make sure your room is quiet and dark. Try meditation or breathing exercises before bed to improve sleep quality.
4. Regular Exercise
- Getting adequate exercise is a great way to boost the immune system and also great for overall general health. Whether its brisk walking or going to your favourite exercise class, keeping up this routine throughout the fall and winter season is going to help you stay healthy and improve your immune system.
Tip: Set time aside each week for exercise so you don’t accidentally overbook yourself. Try exercising with a friend to increase your accountability.
5. Immune Support Naturally
- There are lots of natural remedies to help support your immune system including but not limited to: garlic, echinacea, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A, and zinc. Best to see your Naturopathic Doctor to ensure these remedies are safe for you and when is the best time to take them.
6. IV Therapy and Immune Boosting Injections
- IV Therapy is a great way to get a high dose of Vitamin C and other immune supporting vitamins and minerals straight into your system. These can be administered as a preventative measure and/or when you are actually sick to help your recovery time.
- Immune Boosting Injections are another great preventative measure and best taking at the beginning of the cold/flu season to help boost your immune system before you come in contact with a virus.
Now that you have some great tips in supporting your immune system, make some time to implement at least one or more of these to help get you through this upcoming cold and flu season.
Best in Health,